Sunday, March 15, 2009

Southern Millionaires

I like to buy nice things for myself, for example; I like to buy hats, and slippers (flip-flops), but when I say I like to buy nice things, it is certainly different from a lot of students at SMU when they say that they like to buy nice things.  I understand that people like to spend money on brand name merchandise, but what I do not understand is how people at SMU can buy so much.  It would be different, if students were buying nice things with their own money, or buying in small reasonable amounts, but I can almost guarantee that most students are buying expensive over the top things, with their parent’s hard earned cash.  I do not dislike the people who have money, or people who like to shop, but I do not like the fact that people with money show it off, and just flaunt around campus with the newest toys.  To me it gives the impression arrogance.  Sometimes is feel that people think that because their parents have money, they have money as well and are better than those who may have to work for things.  Really does a college student really need a car that costs more than 70,000 dollars, or go on shopping sprees every other weekend?  I feel that some people feel that because their parents worked hard, that they deserve everything in life.  I think that some people should be a little more gracious and understand that spending money to buy things is a lot different than earning the money to buy things.  People here I think spend too much money worrying on how people will perceive them, so they spend ridiculous amounts of money to buy things so people will view them in a certain way.  I am not saying this is for everyone, but for a nice handful of students.

6 comments:

  1. SMU certainly appears like this sometimes, but I think that if you look around you can still find people who know that the bubble we live in, isn’t the real world. There are however that handful of kids that give SMU, the well earned Southern Millionaires University slogan. I think that what happens is when you have people brought up in such incredible amounts of wealth, many don’t understand the value of a dollar and this university provides the perfect pampering place to house these kids.

    I think that for the most part you can find real and nice people here, you just have to overlook the sometimes outrageous and extravagant things that go on. I mean I think this is all crazy because it isn’t even like the wealthy here earned that money, it is their parent’s. I think people should stop worrying about who a person’s family is and how much they make, and work more on learning about people on the inside. I totally see where your view is coming from because SMU is a hard bubble to crack, you have to get through all the surface millionaire appearance hoopla and dig deep to find people who are real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely correct about this. There certainly a lot of people here at SMU who are very nice considerate people, I was trying to point this out to the people who are living in a surreal world, and are sometime blinded by their own image in a mirror, than the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree and disagree with both of you. I understand that we need to really look deep into the person and find out who they really are, and that is the best way to truly understand someone. However, I have had several experiences with some people here on campus in which I was just standing in line at Umphrey Lee and tried to start a conversation. It was obvious that person was wealthy by the clothes they were wearing and the jewelry. However, my sweatpants must not have been up to par for that person and when I tried to start the conversation I received the dirtiest look from head to toe. Yet, two weeks later I thought I would dress nice that day and had on a Polo and khaki shorts. The same girl that blew me off two weeks ago was in line next to me again, and I tried to start up the conversation. She did the same thing again, looking me from head to toe, and actually had a conversation with me. I know it could have just been a good day and she was in a good mood, but that wasn't the point.

    With that being said, I think people who are not as well financially gifted, who don't dress up to par all the time, might be looked down on by these people you speak off. I agree with you that some people here need to look into the mirror and see the surreal world that they are living in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was logged into the wrong account, Mustangs2 is my account for class

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that you have a good arguement here. However, you might want to include more actual evidence in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree with you more! I am one of the handful of students who actually works for what they have. I have worked over 70 hours a week since I was about 13 years old. Yes, it was at a family business, but I still worked hard for what I have. With that money, I am paying my own tuition (yes, I know I picked the wrong school for that), my car payments, and I pay for what I want to buy.
    With that said, it pisses me off how many people can just go buy whatever they want just because they want it. I think it is wrong for young adults to be given everything they have. How are they supposed to grow up? Daddy will not (or at least should not) be there forever to give you what you want. I would find it extremely hard to grow up and become independent while being spoiled and having everything handed to me.

    ReplyDelete